The Pond (Mud Hole)

I've never been a landscape guy. I don't know why. I love landscapes, but I haven't drawn or painted many. I've always found them difficult. Drawing people in man-made environments is much easier for me. When I'm faced with the task of drawing hills and trees and mountains, I feel a little lost. I don't have confidence in my ability to capture the sense of scale and the depth of an organic scene.

Mud hole on the way back from my hike.
I went for a long hike last week, just me and my camera. It's been about 10 years since I've gone on a walk that took more than 20 minutes. But I left the house and sauntered up and down the local hillsides for about 5 hours. It was hard going. I'm two days past that excursion and I'm still grunting and gasping in pain when I get out of my chair. I dread the trips I must make on the stairs.

Today, I had hopes of getting up and going for a walk. You know, press the advantage, get back into shape, get back into the habit, etc. Um, nope. Still way too sore. I thought maybe it would be for the best if I took up some easier hobby.  Like landscape painting.

Yeah. Much easier.

2 comments:

  1. So this landscape painting is lovely Jeff. Do more!

    Hiking...Tim and I are big on hiking. Get some maps or check online for trails and try not to go so long in the beginning. It is a great way to clear the head walking isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hike a lot, but this was a total struggle. Yeah, I bit off more than I could chew.

    About 1/4 of the way up to the peak I was hurting and really considering turning back, but this guy and his little girl -- she was 7, maybe 8 years old -- they're strolling downhill, passing by while I'm bent over, trying to suck in all the oxygen I can.

    I gasped "hello" to them and the little girl says "We made it all the way to the top." She was hopping and laughing and wearing some pink Disney Princess-Whoever shoes. I could NOT turn back at that point. But I'm almost positive she lied.

    ReplyDelete