Portrait of a Vincent Price Impersonator

Very nice. So, who is that supposed to be?
So, I'm calling this "Portrait of a Vincent Price Impersonator" because it doesn't quite look like Vincent Price. Bad eye placement. Among other things.

I got up this morning and decided to draw for the blog before heading out to work. I haven't had many opportunities to draw on the iPad so I thought I'd give it a go. It's kind of tough. Fifty minutes and one fit of frustrated rage later, here it is.

I used the "Learn to Draw Digital Sketchbook by Walter Foster," which is a free app, and I think it's pretty cool. I dig the look you can get with it. It's like charcoal on cheap paper, and I mean that it a good way.

The tools are very simple. There are three different kinds of pencil and an eraser. You can adjust their sizes, their pressure, and how hard the lead is. That's it. And the pencils only come in pencil color. It does plain drawing and it does it nicely, especially considering the price.

As an annoying bonus, you get a Walter Foster watermark as a nice surprise down there in the corner where you might want to put your signature. That's okay. If you do a lousy drawing you can just say "Walter Foster drew that."

The app has a few draw-along lessons that look like they're straight out of a Walter Foster how-to-draw book, except they move and talk to you in a friendly, you-can-do-it manner, which I like. If you enjoy the lessons you can download more how-to-draw books for six or seven bucks. I haven't done that, but even if they forego the interactive lessons and are simply recreations of the actual books, then that's a pretty good bargain. I always liked WF books, and I still have a couple I refer to now and then.

The bad news: I looked for a Walter Foster How to Draw Vincent Price lesson to download, but it looks like I'm out of luck. This is as good as it's gonna get!

Gah. That looks terrible. I rarely delete a post because of embarrassing art, but this may happen. I must have courage! Courage. Bleh.

The End

1 comment: