Unfinished Painting


I admire the work of the early to mid 20th century American pulp artists; all those crazy sci-fi, detective, romance covers painted with a deadline that required a lot of designing on the fly. What fun!
...This painting has been a side project for a couple of months, but I don't think I've spent more than 8 to 10 hours on it, if that! I suppose it maintains the spirit of the old pulp deadline, although it's digital and I was able to make the canvas larger when I wanted more room for the little iron monkey-- but it's as close as I can (comfortably) get to the old spirit from here in the future! The 21st century!

Other pulpish paintings:
Interesting Sci-Fi 1
Interesting Sci-Fi 2
Interesting Sci-Fi 3
The Iron Apes of Mercury
Saturn's Seven Vipers
Lion Men of Uranus
Venus Needs Men
The End
...

2 comments:

  1. Really diggin this image, and the links to the other pieces are worth check'n out too.

    Nicely done . I love this genre too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dominic-- I knew I could count on you to respond to this pile of stuff.

    ReplyDelete