Sci-Fi Update

About four months ago I made a post about how I was really keyed up and ready to start a short sci-fi comic (Here, if you would care to read something that came to nothing.)
...I have not had the time to make an aggressive effort on that project. I did one page and found I didn't care much my drawings. The story -- which I have not written down but has been growing in my head -- has spun all out of control. I wanted to do a short thing but now it looks like a five-act epic that would run about 1500 pages (not really, but you know what I mean.)
...I didn't have a definite vision for the appearance of the woman in the story, therefore I spent a lot of time erasing and re-sketching and then erasing again, trying to figure out who she was. Amateur mistakes, one after another, as if I didn't know what I was doing. I don't, I guess. And this was only four panels in on this mess!
...And, as I said, I'm not finding the time to get after it as I would like to.
...But, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to do a few drawings of the woman until I had her down. Here is the one I liked the best, although the holster was a last-second addition and ain't quite right. And her left shoulder appears out-of-socket and the arm is too long and generally looks jacked-up. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

Here's a bonus crappy doodle. Photoshop drawing. Means nothing. Just a mimdless doodle in the purest sense.







The End.
...

5 comments:

  1. Nice style'n and feel to this one.

    Were you ever a fan of Frank Kelly Freas's work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! Of course I was a huge fan of Queen's "News of the World" album cover for years without knowing who did it. When I was old enough to start wanting to know who was creating the images I really liked, Freas' name kept popping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work-I'm trying to do the same, it came out as a bunch of ink drawings. You know Tor is looking for SF short comics for Tor.com?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing i like about your illustrations is that i can relate to how the people look. They always look normal joes. None of those skinny model kinda gals for Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog Jeff. I really like some of the illustrations I see. Very stylish!

    ReplyDelete