4 Characters

Today I cleaned off my desk, pulled out a sketchbook, a pencil, a couple of pens and I drew these guys:


No rhyme nor reason to it, I just wanted to see if I could sit down and crank out a few characters.

The two on the left are based on a little painting I did of a Mad Scientist and his Robot-Bride. It was just a head-and-shoulders doodle of a guy who looked vaguely like Basil Rathbone next to a bosomy robot. I've been wondering what the rest of them might look like and now I know.

The guy in the middle is pretty dull. My working name for him is "Guy with ponytail wearing pants." Not a lot of clever design going on there, that's for sure. I thought it was pretty a pretty lazy effort so I forced myself to give him some alternate heads just to add a little to the presentation. I like #2.

Gal with a derby and a tommy-gun. Eh. S'alright.

The end

p.s. Hey, I found that mad scientist painting on my website-- I don't remember putting that there! Here 'tis:

7 comments:

  1. very coool illos!! The bottom piece has a classic reto touch!! GREAT stuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Beautiful work all over your site! I can't believe I haven't run across your blog until now. I'll be back often! Great stuff, sir! And I love these sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jeff!! These are great!!!More!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice stuff. Was Alex Raymond an inspiration for some of these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandon: Thank you very much, sir! I try to put something up twice a week just to keep myself moving. I'm very glad to hear you like what you've seen and I'll try to keep the positive impression rolling! Thanks again!

    Martin: Okay, okay! I'm working on it! And thanks!

    Dominic: I haven't seen a whole lot of Alex Raymond, I'm embarrassed to admit, but I think I'm chock full of trickle-down Alex Raymond. I really dug Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon when I was a kid and I am a big fan of Al Williamson, Wally Wood--you know, that crowd-- and I know they were Raymond fanatics. Heck, the whole look of early American comic sci-fi was defined by his work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great character designs! I guess when you start like that you can't help but become inspired!

    ReplyDelete