New Year Illustration Part 2 of 3

As I mentioned in the previous post, this illustration pertains to a story about avoiding the crowd scene for New Year's Eve. The rough I posted was a painting done very quickly in Photoshop. It was an effort to nail down shape and content, and I didn't stray from that first brainstorm as I pressed on, as seen in these two examples.



...I switched from a Photoshop-painting to Illustrator-inked drawing to make this a cleaner, easier to read cartoon-style presentation. I tend to go light and fluffy and easily digestible for my newspaper work-- it seems to go over better and I don't have to worry too much about perplexing the readers. I also prefer not to distract overmuch from the text, as a consideration for the writers.

...I don't want to give the writer anything to worry about when I work with them. I understand it could be jarring to have a hideous cartoon or painting sitting next to your carefully crafted story.

To Be Continued...
...

No comments:

Post a Comment