Head Painting

I haven't done any digital painting in a while so I thought I'd take a couple hours on one of my days off and go after it.


I drew the head a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have any reference for him, I just dragged the pencil around on the paper and sort of let it take shape on its own. I then went in with a big brush and inked him.

Today, I attacked him with photoshop. I beat him about the head with several textured brushes for about an hour and 20 minutes. He looked a bit better about 10 minutes before I stopped, but this'll do.

I liked the challenge of taking a cartoony looking face and trying to give him a slight touch of realism. Sorry about that ghastly green behind him -- Truly hideous. I don't know what I was thinking with that!

4 comments:

  1. Now I know I am going to come off as a photoshop dummy, so I am warning you in advance. I love drawing cartoons and am beginning to become interested in photoshop as most of my favorite artists (you are totally one!!) use it. It is so expensive and definitly will not be an impulse buy. Would you mind giving me a very basic "This is photoshop and why I use it" tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say hey, A.

    Sure. I'll do that. I'll try to do a post in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost done with it! Stuck at work on a busy day, tho. I'll clean it up and post it as soon as I can. Tonight, I hope...

    ReplyDelete