Okay, I Give Up. Done. Next!

I started drawing this lady back in early December. She was supposed to be a character design exercise, like the drawings under the label: "Character Design."

I didn't want to spend more than a day or two messing around with it, but I'm not even close to "finished." I haven't done anything else since beginning this doodle. Nothing. Sure, there has been work-related art, but only work-related art. And most of what you see here was drawn in the opening session back in 2011.

Every time I work on her I dither, I dawdle, I draw and redraw bits and pieces over and over again. I've had a few home improvement chores eating up my days off but it's been more than a month since I've drawn a line for myself that hasn't been lost in this bottomless pit of a doodle.

Today I decided to spend two hours and finish it up and get it over with. I'm pretty efficient when it comes time to get something done in a hurry.

I felt that sense of dread when the photoshop file opened and she looked at me. "Are you really going to try again?" She looks skeptical. I shouldn't have drawn her face until the very end. I can do this. Easy.

Two hours passed, her legs are still only roughed in, I've changed her hairstyle and her freckles several times and put a dumb sticker on her breastplate. That's it.

Well, I've just decided she's cursed. I don't believe in that kind of thing -- superstitious explanations are bunk! -- but this one is definitely cursed.

Sometimes you've got to walk away and get on with the next bit.

Okay, I give up. Done. Next!

The End


No comments:

Post a Comment