Waiting For Evelyn

Here are two drawings done on the day my wife went into labor. I wriggled free of work and we passed the time resting and prepping for the trip to the hospital. Of course we were ready before the baby was ready.

I spent about half an hour sketching the bassinet and while I was drawing, my mind was time traveling. I daydreamed imaginary lives for my daughter and I had myriad visions of our lives together. It was a strange and wonderful reverie. I was almost surprised to find a drawing on the paper when I came back to reality.


For the second drawing, my wife sat quietly with her eyes closed, coping with the contractions. She didn't move. Not long after I capped the pen and put the sketchbook down, we left.

The next day our wait was over; Evelyn arrived.


The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment