Another Oldie

This is another ancient illustration that I have unearthed upon a backup CD-- carbon dating reveals that the CD was burnt in about 472 BC. This time the topic is how to behave at a gathering of friends and family. I'm pretty sure it was related to the holiday season, but not totally sure. 

 

Looking closely at the original file, it appears that I drew this entirely in photoshop. This was during a period when I was not completely comfortable drawing digitally from start to finish, and my preference would have been to draw the characters in pencil and then scan them in. This is probably one of my first pure digital productions for my newspaper job.
...The guy on the right, being forcibly fed the broccoli (or whatever that is) is a caricature of yours truly. For years I was obsessed with how I might look when I was older, and I'd often doodle myself as I thought I might look. This was one of those instances.
...I have not resorted to sweater vests as of yet, but that's the guy I'm starting to look like. Yessiree. Hm. Maybe that vest doesn't look half bad! Yeah...
...Just kidding.
...(Hmmm.)
...

4 comments:

  1. Nice one , love the assortment of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dominic. Just flew through your place last week and saw a slew of new & awesome stuff! I'll drop a line or two over there when I get a chance to visit and study your latests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace MurphyApril 01, 2010

    You sure this wasn't when I was at the paper? I think it went with a story of how to handle horrible family situations at holiday dinners. And if it WAS for mine, this was also a rush job (WOW, considering how great it is!), because, as you know, I was always terrible about asking for art in a timely fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riiight! It WAS you. There was another piece to it-- a woman's large floating head that didn't look so good (so I left it out here.)

    I think I had plenty of time for it, but the floating head WAS last minute. I put it in there to fill a huge hole in the layout-- I don't think I knew quite how much space I had to fill...

    Always fun to work on CMurphy stories! You weren't so bad. Really! Miss seeing your works, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete