Under Western Skies

So, I had this doodle, several months old, I didn't like it much, but I had posted on my deceased artblog, just because I finished it. What I DID like about it was the cowgirl and the spaceship, not that either of them were drawn especially well, just that cowgirls and spaceships are-- simply by being themselves-- cool.

I found the doodle again this morning and thought, I should fix up that cowgirl and post this. I fiddled a bit with the cowgirl. Eh. I should do something with that thing-- that mesa or whatever-- in the background. I did that. Eh. Might as well fix the spaceship. And the sky. Did that. Eh.

Now I have a totally different painting, not a lick of the old one is in there, and I haven't improved my relationship with it one bit. Art can be like that.

The old one will not be shown because it looks just the same even though it's all entirely different. I may have wasted my time with this one but here it is, because I finished it.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff,
    I really like the cowgirl and the ship. The gesture of the horse is really great. What I really love about this piece is the texture that you got through out the image. reminds me of pastel at some points. I think you did a nice job with the colors too. The colors are similar the the warm and cool contrast is nice and helps with spatial relationships in the image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your illustrations are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, I don't think that you wasted a second on this one!! I really like it. The colors, composition,and gestures are great. I wish that i could color like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all!
    Jeff-- I've been working really hard at making custom brushes & textures and incorporating them in my work. Generally speaking I dislike the plasticky (sp?)or "airbrushed" look of a lot of digital work and I try to avoid that.

    Alina-- aw, shucks. You are very kind. I'm glad you like them.

    Martin-- Thank you, sir. A dazzling comment coming from someone who's work I greatly admire really makes my day!

    ReplyDelete